Taking the kids camping is a great way to introduce them to the joys of nature and break them away from their usual routines. Camping, whether in a tent, a caravan or a camping trailer, teaches children how fun simple living can be and that there’s more to life than Netflix and smartphones. However, camping with kids, especially younger children, does require more planning. Here are our top tips.
Camping Safety and Etiquette
Young children rise early, but that doesn’t mean they have to run around the campsite waking up everyone else., or worse still, run off somewhere else. These basic rules will help you keep your family safe:
- Note whether your mobile phone has reception, If it doesn’t you’ll need to come up with a plan B in case of an emergency. Find where the nearest phone is and let all your family know too.
- Children will probably wake up even earlier than normal in a tent, so speak to them about keeping as quiet as possible and not running through other people’s campsites.
- Get to know your neighbours but don’t impose on them or camp too close to them.
- Respect other campers and the environment. Take all your rubbish with you.
Camping With Kids: What To Pack
We haven’t included all your usual children’s and baby items (toys, nappies, portacot and highchairs etc), in this list. Instead, we’ve made a list of items that are useful for camping and items you may not have thought of.
- Baby wipes – useful for so many things and allows you to pack less toiletries
- Electric fan in summer and fan heater in winter
- Insect Repellent – odour free, low irritant varieties are good for kids
- Snacks and food that don’t require refrigeration (tins, cereal and biscuits for example)
- Basic first aid kit with antiseptic cream, Band-Aids, soothing cream for bites, bandages, antihistamines, hand sanitizer, sun cream and basic pain relief for adults and children
- Outdoor toys (balls, frisbees and beach/water play equipment, bikes, fishing gear)
- Colouring and activity books for rainy days
- Wet weather gear
- Headlamps – kids will love them
- Plenty of changes of clothes for all weather
- A potty can be handy for middle of the night bathroom emergencies, especially in winter
Hire A Camper Trailer
First time camping? Hiring a camper trailer is a great way to experience the great outdoors with a little more luxury and without the expense of buying. Capital Hire has a range of hard floor camper trailers for hire in Canberra starting from just $105 per day. We also offer a selection of other equipment to make your holiday more comfortable and fun including:
Get in touch with us for more information about hiring camping equipment.